A suite of Engineering Standard documents (i.e, standards, guidelines and drawings) have been developed to assist in the design, development, maintenance and management of more than $6 billion of infrastructure. As all standards and guidelines are modified and updated, they can be re-numbered.
These define our requirements for the construction and modification to our assets. It is intended that technical standards form part of the construction contract documentation and are contractually binding.
Guidelines are intended to inform the designer of principles and practices to be applied to the construction and modification of our assets. Guidelines cover the design of particular types of infrastructure (such as pumping stations) as well as systems (such as electrical and computer-based) and are applicable to all infrastructure types. It is intended that technical guidelines form part of the project contract documentation and the principles and practices they specify are contractually binding upon designers and constructors.
These define our requirements for the construction and modification to our assets. It is intended that standard drawings form part of the construction contract documentation and are contractually binding.
These are intended to inform the designer of our engineering standards which may be one acceptable method, or our preferred method of complying with engineering standards. Typical drawings are generally specific to types of infrastructure. Typical drawings may be used by designers as a base to develop their own designs. They are not to be used as construction documents and must be reviewed and modified, as required, by designers to produce project specific design drawings for construction. We accept no responsibility for contractor designs based on typical drawings or assets constructed to typical drawings.
Dispensations should be requested in the following circumstances:
- If a designer becomes aware of a potential issue with a development (prior to construction), where they will be required to issue design drawings that are not in compliance with our standards or drawings. In these instances, they can request a dispensation from engineering and after consideration. This will be approved or declined.
- If a superintendent (developer’s representative) becomes aware of an upcoming issue with a development (prior to construction), that is at variance with our standards or approved design drawings, they can request a dispensation from engineering. After consideration it will be approved or declined.
- In situations where infrastructure fails any inspection and it is discovered that the construction is not as designed and our dispensation has not been approved, the developer’s superintendent shall notify the construction contractor to rectify the construction in relation to structural details, materials and/or quality of work, to ensure design discrepancies are rectified (in compliance with clauses 2.4 and 4 of Annexure D of the Developer Agreement). Follow-up compliance audits will then be undertaken, by SA Water - Construction Services Technical Officers. Only by exception, can a dispensation be requested via Engineering at this stage. However, there is no guarantee that any dispensation request will be approved.
Note: In situations where infrastructure is constructed and a dispensation had not been approved prior to construction, a Non-Conformance Request needs to be submitted to SA Water - Construction Services Technical Officers.
Applying for dispensations
You will need to complete the Dispensation Request Form to apply for dispensation of a clause within an SA Water Standard, including supporting documentation and identification of risks. This is emailed to our relevant Principal Engineer.
Our Principal Engineer will assess the request before notifying the initiator of the granting or decline of the dispensation application.
Note: It is the responsibility of the designer to ensure they apply the latest engineering documentation is used by the contractor when engaged on one of our projects.
For information regarding our engineering standards please contact:
Manager Engineering Quality and Innovation
250 Victoria Square, ADELAIDE SA 5000
GPO Box 1751, ADELAIDE SA 5001
Phone: (08) 7424 2491
Water Supply On
- 18/06/2020 03:05 PM - We are attending to an incident in Arthurton with no interruption to the water supply. The safety of our crews and customers comes first, and we always aim to minimise inconvenience by restoring services as quickly as we can. Reference Number WO: 07505663.
- See all major faults
Temporary Supply Interruption
- Estimated start time and water supply off: 07/08/2020 07:30 AM
Estimated restore time and water supply back on: 07/08/2020 10:00 AM
We’re improving your services and undertaking maintenance work in Direk. Sometimes our crews need to temporarily interrupt the water supply to our customers and/or manage traffic while they are working. Temporary traffic management may remain in place until reinstatement of the impacted road is complete. We always aim to minimise inconvenience by restoring services as safely and quickly as we can.
- See all scheduled works