The South Para Reservoir was built to supply rapidly growing urban and industrial areas.
Construction began in 1949 but wasn't completed until 1958 because of the huge demand on funds and resources following the Second World War.
South Para is the second largest reservoir in South Australia and due to its size and location in the catchment area, the reservoir fills infrequently.
Capacity: 44.8 gigalitres (one gigalitre is one billion litres), which would fill more than 22,000 Olympic swimming pools
Public access: No
|Capacity, volume and rainfall levels across reservoirs supplying metropolitan Adelaide, compared to last month last year|
|Capacity (GL)||Volume this week (GL)||Volume this week (%)||Volume this week last year (GL)||Average Volume this month (GL)||Rainfall this week (mm)|